Arnot Roberts Sonoma Coast Syrah 2014

When dining out, I don’t usually like to pay restaurant markup on wines I can get for much less here at Back Room, but I made a an exception recently at Oakland’s excellent Flora where their rich, decadent Confit Pork Shoulder almost cried out to be paired with Arnot-Roberts 2014 Sonoma Coast Syrah.

And what a pairing it was! Upon decanting, the wine’s more savory, “meaty” characteristics were apparent, but the fruit (raspberry, tart cherry and blackberry) emerged quickly, framed by herbacious notes, chunky tannins and the zippy acidity I’ve come to expect from this producer. You’d be forgiven if you mistook this wine for Saint Joseph or Cornas.

Only a few bottles left on our shelves and once it’s gone, it’s gone. Have some with a hearty winter meal tonight!

Leave a Reply

WordPress.com Logo

Twitter picture

Facebook photo